Smoothies are quick and easy to make, taste delicious and are a great way to start the day or fuel up anytime you need a boost. Follow this handy guide for inspiration.
CHOOSE YOUR BASE
8-10 ounces of one of these options makes an excellent base for your smoothie
- Your choice of milk
- Coconut water (Choose a raw and unheated brand. That way all the nutrients are still intact. Harmless Harvest is my favorite, however, you must keep refrigerated because it spoils very quickly)
- Home brewed iced tea (Try green, ginger or rooibos)
ADD YOUR GREENS
Two cups of leafy greens or 1-2 tbs of spirulina
- Kale (If you are new to consuming raw kale, it might hurt your stomach at first so introduce it in small quantities to your diet.)
- Spinach (If it’s good enough for Popeye then you know you’re on the right track! Its taste completely disappears when blended with fruit. Try it and be amazed)
- Spirulina Powder (This is a complete plant based protein, really good for you and a powerhouse when it comes to vitamin nutrition)
ADD HEALTHY FATS + FIBER + FRUIT
1tbs of either or all of the seeds. All of them packed with lean protein, loads of vitamins and amino acids. 1 cup of fruit. 1 tbs coconut oil.
- Chia Seeds
- Hemp Seeds
- Flax Seeds (For easy digestion, make sure you buy the already ground up kind or grind them first)
- Organic Fruit
- Coconut Oil (Loaded with healthy fats that promote weight loss, good for skin, nails, hair)
- Almond Butter (Better than peanut butter as it doesn't cause inflammation, healthy fats that promote weight loss, protein packed and yummy taste. Great with bananas)
ADD A BOOST
One heaping tsp of either or all of these.
- Bee Pollen (Over 96 vital nutrients!)
- Raw Cacao (Super high on antioxidants, rich in minerals and an aphrodisiac)
- Raw Maca (Regulates hormones, increases endurance and improves circulation)
Roughly 1tbs or adjust to taste.
- Raw Miel de Agave (Make sure it is miel de agave and not just agave. Agave has a very low glycemic index, meaning it will not make your blood sugar spike up as much and cause cravings later)
- Raw Honey (Antiviral and antibacterial properties, plus it tastes delicious)
ADD ICE CUBES
3-4 ice cubes should do it
- You can make water, tea of fruit juice ice cubes for an extra flavor boost